16 January 2014

Display driver frustration

I use an older (4.5 years old) Dell Precision M4400 laptop running Windows 7 64-bit at work, and while it is certainly getting a bit long in the tooth, it has worked well for me. My demands are relatively light - I use most of the 8GB of RAM it has for web applications and browsing, and a few other applications. I don't put the graphics processor to the test much, aside from having a second Dell display connected via DisplayPort. Both displays were operating just fine at 1920X1200.

As time has gone on, however, the newer drivers for my graphics chipset have started causing a very annoying issue. Power saving behavior incorporated into the driver (called "Powermizer") is not compatible with the firmware Dell has made available for my laptop. As a result, if a fairly current version of the nVidia Quadro FX 770M graphics driver is installed, the laptop will blue screen (with a STOP 0x00000116 error). Safe mode worked to prevent this from happening, but prevents use of a number of system items. Simply removing the driver was insufficient - Windows 7 would install the "current" driver from Windows Update, and the blue screen would happen on the next normal reboot.

Solution: I uninstalled all nVidia driver components (in Control Panel) and installed only the following parts of the driver package:
nVidia Graphics Driver 275.33
nVidia nView 135.85

I also downloaded a piece of freeware called Powermizer Switch which (via registry settings) disables the Powermizer feature that causes the blue screen. I downloaded it from here.

Where before, the system would blue screen on login or would simply say "Unable to save Display Settings" when I would attempt to enable the external display - now it works just fine, as it has for 4.5 years.

Conclusion: If you are happy with how something works, resist making changes, applying updates, etc. You never know what might break, and further, you don't know if your "update" will be reversible!

No comments: